Re: rxvt won't start

Gnu-Raiz wrote:
On Friday 28 April 2006 15:48, Russ Cook wrote:
Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
Russ Cook <russcook@mbo.net> writes:
I'm running gnome.  From a xterminal, I try to start rxvt, and
get this message:
rxvt: can't load color "Black"
rxvt: can't load color "Black"
rxvt: aborting

Has anyone seen this problem, and can you tell me what I
should check?
You may have managed to hit http://bugs.debian.org/343389 . Try reinstalling the x11-common package with dpkg
--force-confmiss:

dpkg -i --force-confmiss
/var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_*.deb
Aaron,
  Thank you for the reply.  I did as you suggested, but the error
remains the same.
Thanks though!

Is their any special reason your using rxvt? You can make the changes to x-term to make it look exactly like rxvt!
Example code:

xterm -sb -sl 200 -leftbar -fg black -bg white &

I do agree that if rxvt does not work right maybe you should file a bug report. If I remember correctly rxvt is a subset to xterm, and might not have implemented everything yet.

Gnu_Raiz

Gnu_Raiz,
Thank you for your reply. Below is what the system tells me when I executed the command string you suggested, from within a Konsole window. It appears I have a configuration problem of some sort.

russ@Archimedes:~$ xterm -sb -sl 200 -leftbar -fg black -bg white &
[1] 7723
russ@Archimedes:~$ Warning: Color name "white" is not defined
Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
xterm: Cannot allocate color green
xterm: Cannot allocate color red

[1]+  Done                    xterm -sb -sl 200 -leftbar -fg black -bg white