Recommended sources.list for new etch installs.

Recently I purchased a new amd64 PC, and proceeded to install debian
unstable on it.  (I have been using debian unstable on an i386 as my
sole desktop system for several years, so I'm reasonably familiar with
debian.)  I booted the system from a USB stick with the netinst ISO
image on it.  (I used the etch beta 2 images.)

The install itself went fairly smoothly.  There were a few hickups:
The install will not complete unless a network connection is
available, and some of the decisions made by the partitioning tool
seem a bit odd: My root partition is only just over a quarter of a
gigabyte large (on a 300GB drive), and I didn't succeed in enlargening
it during the installation process.  Eventually I decided to just
trust the default settings.  However, my root partition is already 43%
full...but I digress.

After the install was done I noticed that very few packages were
installed, and that some packages were simply not available via the
default sources.list, for instance I was initally unable to install
make (404 error).  After some fiddling and googling about I ended up
with the following:

--8<--
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1 (20060314)]/ etch main
deb ftp://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

deb ftp://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
#deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
--8<--

Even with this I was unable to do "apt-get install gnome", for
instance.  I am somewhat curious whether this is broken in testing in
general right now or whether this is amd64-specific breakage.

Another package that I can't find is "nvidia-kernel-source", though
its companion package "nvidia-common" is available.

I've looked briefly through the debian-amd64 mailing list archives and
I understand that the amd64 port is transitioning from its own buildd
and package repository infrastructure to the debian proper
infrastructure.  Unfortunately, I have not quite been able to work out
on my own just how this translates into sources.list entries etc.  I'd
be grateful if someone could give me a pointer in the right direction.

--
Gaute Strokkenes
I'm having a MID-WEEK CRISIS!