Re: Xorg 7.0 and keyboard (again)

Le 16.04.2006 22:01:54, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) a écrit :
Hi,

I've read everthing that have been posted about the keyboard problems.
As bug #362105 was marked solved, I decided to upgrade.

Some new about progress...

Everything went (about) fine, problems was:
- x11-common 7.0.11 conflicts with xfs so the X server doesnt want to start because the default fonts arent available. I've reverted to 7.0.10 and reinstalled xfs.
I've updated x11-common ro 7.0.12. xfs has been removed but is not really needed.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf has to be updated for the correct path to the fonts:

Section "Files"
   FontPath "unix/:7101"         # local font server
   FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
   # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/CID"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
   FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

I had old path:
I had "/usr/lib/X11/fonts" instead of "/usr/share/fonts/X11"

So, this is fixed

- xbase-clients update postrm wants (seems to) to remove /usr/X11R6/bin but failed because the directory was not empty. I've removed the symlink to allow the upgrade... And reinstall the symlink then because otherwise it was not possible to start X from gdm:
 gdm_server_spawn: '/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -dpi 96 -audit 0 -auth /var/
gdm refers explicitemy to "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" it its config file.
I've changed these references to /usr/bin/X

This is fixed also

lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7'
- And finally I managed to start gnome but I got the error message as reported in #362105

[ ... ]

In the same conditions, I've no more this error message.

This seems to be harmless but I've lost my compose key and xmodmap is not processed while it is in the session startup programs. I've also some problems with so-called multimedia keys on my keyboard.

xmodmap is processed normally.

The only missing is the Compose key.
The keyboard I use is not in the gnome list (logiinkse). I told gnome to use the xorg one. It appears as unknown in the preferences (this was the same with the previous version of xorg). But if I try to setup the Compose key in this preference dialog, the XKB related gnome error message popups immediately.

The remark is that gnome-keyboard-properties is part of gnome-control-center package which depends on xlibs. Adn xlibs is not par of xorg 0.7 (or has not been updated). xlibs contains the keyboards definitions (in etc/X11/xkb) whose definitions are now remplaced by the ones from xkb-data (in /usr/share/X11/xkb).

Regards

Jean-Luc