Re: starting X interferes with NFS

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:15:20PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Yeah.  I've been trying to set up X on my ASUS A8N-VM-UAYGZ system.
> Its on-board graphics chip is, I believe, an GFORCE4 6300.  This
> machine is successfully in production use as an NFS server, serving an
> 80G reiser filesystem on LVM on RAID-1 to several other machines on the
> LAN.
>
> I'm using AMD64 etch with Len Sorenson's -12 kernel, and csail at MIT is
> my package repository.  I've managed to compile and install the
> so-called nvidia-kernel, but nvidia is not one of the options I get when
> running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
>
> Selecting nv gets nowhere; when I boot, X tries to start
> up and fails, finding no screens.  But more than that, when it starts
> and fails on boot,  the NFS server doesn't seem to work.
> remote-mounting the big partition on another machine times out.
>
> Of the options I've tried, only vga works at all.  X still doesn't
> start (apparently I've specified 24-bit graphics and VGA doesn't like
> it), but at least the NFS server comes up properly, and my remote users
> are happy.
>
> Is this a known problem?
>
> Actually, I'm not completely certain whether it was nv or vesa (or
> both) I was using when the NFS server failed to operate -- I'd have to
> try it again to be sure, but it's getting late and my users are
> complaining about yet another shutdown.  I will test it again and give
> more complete details, probably tomorrow.
>
> In the meantime, if someone could tell me just what data to gather to
> help in diagnosis, I'd appreciate it.
>
> -- hendrik

There are two issues here.

One, which I expect will be fixed by time, effort, routine upgrades,
very much appreciated advice from this list, and a lot of my virtual
elbow grease, is tht I'm having touble getting X up.

Th other, which I think is more serious, although it will probably
affect me less, is that when C fails to start up properly at boot, it
appears to disable the NFS server.  That seems to suggest
  * a serious lack of compartmentalisation in the kernel.
  * X's failure to behave properly when failing to start up.

-- hendrik