Intel E7230 + ICH7

Hello,

I am trying to setup Debian AMD64 on a Supermicro SuperServer 5015M- MF. I am having a bit of trouble as I cannot get the 3.1r0a net install cd to recognize the disks. I had found a thread in the mailing lists about this particular server's chipset, the E7230 + ICH7 but they didn't completely answer my questions:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/11/msg00595.html

I had also tried Len Sorensen's installer image and it couldn't detect the USB CDROM I was using to perform the install. When I connected an IDE CDROM, it asked for language and keyboard setup and then seemed to lock (I left it running for five minutes on a blue screen but nothing seemed to be happening).

I would like to use this server in a production environment. Is there a way to use a more recent kernel with modules for this hardware with sarge? Or must I use etch or even sid? Can I start with etch or sid, install only a very basic system and then change my apt sources to stable and be ok?

Thanks,

Nicholas P. Mueller