Re: ram

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 06:57:06AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> In setting up a workstation with
>
> --two amd6a 265 opterons dual core
> --Tyan K8WE S2895SA3NRF main board
> --two 360GB raid1 hd (raid 1 software by debian)
> --ram 2GB (Kingston KVR400D4R3A/2G - DDR 400 Ecc Registered), is any reason to
> prefer two slots of memories 1GB each instead of a single 2GB slot?
>
> The technician here maintains that two slots are needed to have needed two
> channels.
>
> Incidentally, the 2GB Kingston is charged in Italy six hundred euros, that is
> more than twice the price in US. This is to recognize that we can circumvent
> the market leader software houses (and be more efficient) but we cannot avoid
> the system in our country which favors handlers against citizen (and against
> scientific research activities). The results of such policy are under the
> eyes.

With 2 * 1GB, you get 6.4GB/s memory bandwidth.  With 1 * 2GB, you get
3.2GB/s memory bandwidth.  I think that is a reason to prefer the
pair 1GB sticks

Socket 939/940 AMD's have dual channel memory controllers to get double
memory bandwidth, but only if you put in at least two sticks of memory
(and into the right slots on the board).