Re: nvidia building from source (2.6.15)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:59:49AM -0800, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Thanks Jo, for the details.
> OK - I found "nvidia-installer --uninstall"
> You remind(claim?) that nvidia only works (well) when built with gcc-3.4 !?
> But just /installing/ gcc-3.4 would not be enough ! How and at what step can I
> tell the build-chain to really use 3.4 ??

At least module assistant looks at the kernel and picks the right
compiler version.

> Also: your line  "modprobe nvidia && echo nvidia >> /etc/modules"  suprises
> me:  In the past I never needed this for nvidia ! It just gets auto-loaded
> when X starts ! (I thought it was not according to debian policy to
> change /etc/modules anyway ;-) )

No that is /etc/modules.conf / /etc/modprobe.conf you don't touch.

The nvidia package should add an alias to auto load the nvidia driver,
so you might not need it in /etc/modules.  Doesn't hurt to have it there
though.