Firefox themes don't install

Hi,

Yesterday I installed etch on a new Dell box. This morning I tried to change the theme in Firefox but instead of usual installation into themes set, Firefox untarred the themes jar. I reckon, since themes are packaged as jars it makes sense but I have never seen this behaviour before, firefox was somehow able to recognise that the jar contained a theme and handled it appropriately. Can someone explain why it is happening and how it can be fixed? TIA,

-a