Re: onboard ethernet on Tyan Thunder K8WE (s2895)

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:09:33PM -0800, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> Does that mean that the port assignment COULD potentially change after
> each reboot !? And I need a special script to adjust
> /etc/network/interfaces !?  Hard to believe...
>
> [[ OK - I just started reading the mentioned wiki web page and here is a
> quote just for documentation purposes:
> """
> One of the problems of Linux is that the order of the network interfaces
> is unpredictable. Between reboots it does stay the same, but it is very
> well possible that after an upgrade to a new kernel or the addition or
> replacement of a network card (NIC) that the other of all network
> interface changes. For example, what used to be eth0 now becomes eth1 or
> eth2 or visa versa.

Well with udev this now applies to every @#$#@$ boot. :)

You can create a rule file for udev telling it which MAC address should
be named what eth name.  I tried this and it worked very well.

Now if someone has an idea how to control the order of sata drives in
initramfs-tools initrd on 2.6.15 I would be happy.  Half the time my
promise card goes first, and half the time the via onboard goes first.
Since disk labels seem unsupported at this time, having the disk order
change (sda <-> sdc, sdb <-> sdd), being able to at least have something
make sure the initrd can actually find the root partition would be very
handy.  At this point I am getting close to thinking whoever invented
udev shouldn't have.