Re: Installing Debian on sata drive with adaptec aic-8130 controller V2

A Dilluns 20 Març 2006 15:19, Marc Blumentritt va escriure:
> Leopold Palomo Avellaneda schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry if not is the correct list, but I have found than this issue have
> > been threaded before [1] and I have a  some aspects not very clear, I
> > would like to ask  to the list about it.
> >
> > We have bought a HPProliant ML150 G2 that comes with a RAID controller.
> > This raid controller is a Adaptec HostRaid 8130 SATA Galileo/SATA II
> > PI-X.
> >
> > 1) I have found some people that says that this controller is the _same_
> > (or can use) [2] the Marvell 88SX6541-BCZ driver. Please, could you
> > confirm this?
>
> It is a Marvell Chip. lspci gives me this:
> 0000:03:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
> MV88SX6041 4-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 07)
>
> I do not know about the driver. I just know, that in Kernel 2.8.15 there
> was support for this controller, but it was marked highly experimentel
> and I found it unstable. Perhaps this changed with Kernel 2.8.16, but I
> have not tried it, yet.
>
> For your other questions I have no answers, sorry. But perhaps you have
> a look on this post:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2006/03/msg00356.html
>
> The post is about the same sata controller.
>
> Marc

Hi,

well, I have made some test and I have found that:

- the sata_mv driver doesn't work in a HP proliant ml150 g2 box. Although the
driver detects the hds, the system is very unusable because of time out of
access to the hds.

- the marvell driver is gpl, compiling it in a recent kernel is a
pain ..:-( However the combination of version 3.4 (patched) and 2.6.8 works
ok. The version 3.6.1 compile in a 2.6.15 but it give me some errors on the
device when I load the driver.

- I have only tested on ia32 arch, but I think that it worsewhile to make some
test in the amd64 arch.

- I don't know what is the best way in this situation. We have two drivers for
the same hardware: one of the main company, released in a free licence after
some time time, and another a free driver, developed by the community that
doesn't work in some some hardware. What do you recommend?

Regards,

Leo
--
Linux User 152692