Re: mysql dependancy problems.

Chris Wakefield wrote:
I have been trying exactly what you suggested, but mysql ignores the new password, so I think something else is wrong.

Chris W.

On Thursday 23 March 2006 15:21, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
Eek. Better way: start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables, which makes it
ignore permissions. Then you can set root's password, and restart mysqld
normally.

If you've been following the instructions on this page:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

make sure that instead of

SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('password');

you use instead

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

You might also want to add a root user from any host, if your phpmyadmin is on another machine:

GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

If it all fails, try repeating the procedure but start the server with

mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --old-passwords &

--
Nelson Menezes