quiet dual dual-core opteron

Hi All,

I know this is a little something of a tall order, but I am looking to
replace my aging SMP system with a dual, dual-core Opteron system
(probably Opteron 265s). Noise level is a primary concern because our
apartment is very small.

I recognize that this is quite a constraint, but then that's what
makes it interesting. The box will primarily be a server but may also
run MythTV. (Just to make it *really* interesting.)

I was thinking about using a ZMAX DP system, which is supposed to be
Dual-core ready (or so I've read), but then I have heard that the ZMAX
units run more around 50 db (more than the 38db on the ZMAX specs).
Plus, there's not much room for upgrading and I would be forced to use
USB network dongles... etc. And, I would prefer to use stock kernel or
experimental drivers -- I don't want to have to use binary nVidia
drivers. Is nForce3 fully supported without the binary drivers?

Then I started thinking about using a K8T Master2 Far-7 board because
it is only standard ATX and seeing if I could get that board into a
Sonata II case... but I'm not sure if that is even possible and, once
again, I can't seem to find a lot of specs about it or people who have
tried.

Does anyone have experience with a working dual, dual-core opteron
system that is less than full-tower size and relatively quiet? Or even
a quiet-but-full-tower machine?

If anyone has experience with the ZMAX unit and can speak to its noise
level (especially with dual core chips) that would be great too.

I figured that even if you guys didn't know these pieces of hardware
specifically, the peanut gallery would at least have opinions about
the best way to make a quiet dual dual-opteron server.

Thanks,

Peter

--
Peter A. H. Peterson, technician and musician.
 ---=[ http://tastytronic.net/~pedro/ ]=---