Re: amd64-archive update

Andrew Schulman <andrex@alumni.utexas.net> writes:

>> I'm sorry -- I'm a bit confused about what this script does, and
>> the web page didn't really explain it.  Does it remove the need for
>> a 32-bit chroot to run the above apps on a 64-bit system?  If so,
>> how?  By putting the 32-bit libraries in a special location, and
>> then surrounding all the above apps in a script wrapper that
>> sets library paths to the new locations?  That kind of thing?
>
> Right.  It's not clearly explained, but from studying the page it seems that
> installing amd64-archive creates an archive on your local machine of
> modified packages that wrap the apps for execution in the 64-bit
> environment.  The archive of modified packages will be built in
> /var/lib/amd64-archive.
>
> It would seem better to create these packages once and for all and offer
> them in an online archive for everyone, but better this way than nothing.

If they are created once and stored in an archive then you also have
to put sources there. For an example what that means lets show some
numbers. The ia32-libs package has a 20MB deb but ~250MB sources.

The shear size of sources needed for all the libraries and apps one
might need in 32bit is too big to make this practicaly.

We are working on better way, most importantly multiarch, so this is
just an intermittend hack.

MfG
        Goswin