Re: Mirroring the AMD pool

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 01:43:08PM +0000, Steven Dobson wrote:
>> I am a long time Debian user that has just got his first AMD64 system up
>> and running.  So thanks to all the AMD64 port team for producing the
>> packages.
>>
>> I am thinking about mirroring the AMD64 archive and was wondering how
>> much space was required.
>
> Not sure.  Once the amd64 archive is finally integrated into debian, the
> mirroring setup is almost certainly going to have to change, so
> depending on how long you suspect it will be until amd64 is merged,
> might affect how much effort you want to put into it know.
>
> Not sure if rsync support is available from the amd64.debian.net server.
> That is usually the best way to mirror things.
>
> Len Sorensen

For home use I can only recommend reprepro. It is trivial to setup and
will just take a few seconds to change the url when the Debian gets
amd64.

The drawback is that it won't be a 1:1 mirror. The Packages, Sources
and Release files will be remade and resigned with your own gpg
key. So this is only suitable for internal use.

The big advantage is that you can easily combine different sources
into a single archive. For example I have

amd64.debian.net amd64+source
ftp.de.debian.org i386+mips+mipsel+m68k+source
security.debian.org amd64+i386+mips+mipsel+m68k+source

and in my sources.list I just have

deb http://storage/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

You can also keep security seperate from sarge if you like with a
slightly different config. E.g one resulting in

deb http://storage/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
deb http://storage/debian/ sarge-security main contrib non-free

When amd64 enters Debian sid I just edit the config and I will also
get updates from there.

MfG
        Goswin