Re: Disable the sharing of interrupts?

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 03:17:44PM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> In search of my performance problems I noticed that my on-board Sil 3114
> Sata controller and the on-board AMD8111 soundcard  of my Tyan 2885
> motherboard are sharing the same interrupt. I suspect that that is the
> reason my sound is distorted in case of moderate/heavy load on my Sata
> controller.
>
> Is is possible to influence the usage /sharing of interrupts (I have
> found no such option in the BIOS)?

Often they are physically wired together on the main board.  The IRQ
routing is generally done based on the PCI slot number the device is
attached to.

If the mainboard maker attached them to the same irq line, then they
must have thought it could work fine that way.  If they are on different
wires then perhaps the BIOS just assigned them the same IRQ because it
was low on IRQs although on a modern system that seems unlikely.

What does lspci show on the system?