Kernel Configuration Question

Would someone please help me with what, I think, should be a fairly simple
kernel configuration question. I am attempting compile a new AMD64 kernel
that will boot without using an initrd.img file. I've done this a number of
times before, but this time I can't seem to get it working. Every time, I end
up with a kernel panic, unable to mount root device.

First, I have a pair of SATA drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration, two
primary partitions (EXT3) and GRUB installed in the boot sector. The first
partition is mounted as /boot. The second partition is set up as a physical
volume group within which are defined the
usual /root, /home, /var, /usr, /tmp & swap as logical volumes. All this was
set up with the latest Debian-Installer beta (Etch RC1) and boots perfectly
with a stock kernel (linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64).

I've tried to locate all of the modules necessary to boot and compile them
into the kernel, but I must be missing something.

When I attempt to boot with my kernel,
        1)      GRUB locates and boots the kernel from /boot;
        2)      The SATA drives are recognized;
        3)      md & device-mapper modules are initialized;
        4)      The RAID arrays are recognized;
                md: Autodetecting RAID arrays
                md: autorun ...
                md: ... autorun DONE.
but then:

VFS: Cannot open root device "mapper/vg0-root_lv" or unknown block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I considered adding a "root=" boot option, as the message said,
but /dev/mapper/vg0_root_lv is the correct logical volume.

As a post script, I just noticed that when I have a successful boot, the RAID
arrays are announced as they are recognized, where as with my kernels, it
just says "autorun" followed by "autorun DONE". If that means that the RAID
arrays are _not_ being recognized then I have no idea why.

TIA

CMR
--
Debian 'Etch': Registered Linux User #241964
----