Re: Debian vs Ubuntu for Enterprise Production Servers

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 19:05 +0000, Justin Catterall wrote:

> IMO Ubuntu is, compared to Debian, a *very* new distro. Debian is
> going nowhere, only time will tell the future of Ubuntu. Debian has
> so many people working on it and while you could argue that those
> same people are working on Ubuntu too, if the (relatively) few who
> are maintaining Ubuntu decide to do something else you could find
> yourself having to migrate a server.
>
> Debian is just too huge - and this does mean development can be slow
> compared with other distros - but if you're maintaining a server then
> stability is what you want and it is rare you need support for the
> latest and greatest hardware.
>
> I'm sticking with Debian - though one solutions provider we've used
> at work has insisted the OS on the machine they've provided is RH,
> I'm not happy about it, but, if it falls over, it's their problem
> anyway.

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.  You're right.  I will
really have to stick with Debian and it already existed for years.
While Ubuntu is new to the community, their server edition is just new
and nobody knows what will come out in the following years.

Thank you once again.