Re: scp permission denied (publickey)

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:50:31AM +0100, antongiulio05@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I must copy via "scp" some files pc-to-pc linked via ethernet. I have installed ssh-server on my debian box, but from client pc launching:
>
> scp * name@192.168.0.2:/home/user/dir
>
> I got:
>
> permission denied (publickey)
>
> How can I get a simple authentication with password?

If scp doesn't work, ssh won't either.

In Sarge you'll find that privledge separation breakes password auth.
You'll need to enable this and allow password auth.  I would suggest
that you get ssh working using publickey asap (see the debian-reference)
then re-enable privledge separparation again.

Good luck.

Doug.