Re: Re: mosix and debian amd64

Użytkownik Jo Shields <jms@osc.ox.ac.uk> napisał:
>On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 21:25 +0100, Sythos wrote:
>> Il Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:26:00 +0100
>> tomek.fizyk@op.pl scrisse:
>>
>> > Hi. Have anybody heared about some mosix or open-mosix kernel for debian
>> > amd 64? When I searched the package list on debian.org I have found only
>> > some mosix kernel in oldstable dist (for i386 only).
>> > Maby there is some unofficial one?
>> > Or maby there is some alternative?
>>
>> If you are looking for a HPC cluster look MPI cluster packages
>
>I've never understood the appeal of Mosix. No real HPC facility uses it.
>
>Proper clusters tend to use an MPI of some kind (usually some variant of
>MPICH). Workstation clusters run Condor or similar. Neither require
>special kernels.

Hmm... I'm new to cluster calculations, so I don't know for example
what does HPC stands for.

As for MPI, afaik it is some library that has to be linked with a
program and the program has to use some functions of the library.
That means making the code dependant on the library.

When using mosix the code doesn't have to be modiffied - it can be
run either on a single machine (with no cluster specific software
installed) or on a cluster.

But thanks for the answers

Tomek