Re: when will nvidai-glx and nvidia-kernel-source hit etch? {Scanned}

On 10/24/06, Jo Shields <jms@osc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 21:15 -0500, Henry Hollenberg wrote:
> andy:/etc/apt# apt-get install nvidia-graphics-drivers
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package nvidia-graphics-drivers

There's no such (binary) package.

nvidia-kernel-common: Init scripts needed by Nvidia.

nvidia-kernel-source: Source code required to compile a kernel module.

Do  'apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-kernel-common', then
run module assistant (m-a) as already suggest on this list.
I've done it several times, and it worked.

You will also want to install nvidia-glx after running module assistant.

P.S.:
You can find the beta drivers from nvidia in experimental, you can
install it like this:
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source/experimental
m-a update
m-a auto-install nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx/experimental

Reason you might want to try the beta driver: Google earth works with it :)

Edwin