motd

I'm running Etch on my new box and getting it set up.

/etc/motd now points to /var/run/motd and there's a file
/etc/motd.tail

I've tried man motd but it doesn't mention this new setup.  I don't want
to break whatever this is, but I don't want the default motd and have
scripts that put reminders into motd (e.g. 2006-10-30 update aptitude)
so that I have to actually remove the comment once I've done it.  This
way I don't forget.

What is /etc/motd.tail, why is this like this, and where do I echo my
reminders?

Thanks,

Doug.