Re: etch upgrade blows away /usr/bin? {Scanned}

Henry Hollenberg wrote:
Hey gang,

Still puzzling over how this happened.  During the upgrade
I got a message about an install script not being able
to make a sym-link in /usr/X11R6/bin because
the directory was "full" and needed to be "emptied".

So I moved it to /root/backup/usr_X11R6/bin where a copy
still resides.

before the final attempt at the upgrade I noticed a bunch
of files in /usr/X11R6/bin that weren't there before.  Not
sure where they came from, I hadn't copied all those files
in there and I certainly hadn't done a sym-link.
SNIP>>>>>>>
Anyway, if it wasn't me and was the scripts this is a very bad
thing and needs to be fixed so I figured I would post it.

PS Anyone know a convenient way to restore /usr/bin on an AMD64?

Is there a way to "refresh" an install?

Thanks.

hgh.
--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com

Did a bunch of dpkg repair by hand and copied over some /usr/bin
files from another partition and apt finally took off.

Still have lingering errors from postgresql and X is broken:

andy:/etc/init.d# ./postgresql-7.4 restart
Restarting PostgreSQL 7.4 database server: main* Error: You must run this program as the cluster owner (postgres)
 failed!

Which seems to be hanging up the last few packages clearing out of apt-get upgrade......

hgh.

--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com