Re: off-site backup

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:57:55PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:50:15PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:

> Different types of flash memory have different cycle counts.
>

> > I don't know how a memory chip gets translated into a 'drive'.  Is it
> > like a HDD with spare sectors?
>
> Depends on the firmware/controller in the device.  Some are very dumb
> and do essentially one to one mapping.  Others are smart and do wear
> leveling across the whole flash chip, so that anything that changes
> often will be moved around, and stuff that never changes will be moved
> to the more used sectors to let the less used sectors get some use.

How do I tell smart from dumb before I buy?

My store sells Kingston DataTraveler because Kinston makes good RAM too.
It has a 5 year warranty.  A 2 GB unit is $55 CDN.

Does a badblocks check during a fs check work?

Is there a filesystem that can compensate for dumb firmware?

Is there a filesystem with integral sector-based error correction?

Would partitioning a flash drive in two and raid1 together be useful, at
least to preserve data when a sector dies so you can move the data to a
new stick?

Doug.