Re: Flightgear crashes (the program, not the pilot)

Am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 19:27 schrieb Russ Cook:
> Flightgear crashes on startup on my system.  I'm running
> 2.6.16-2-amd64-k8-smp generic kernel.  My system:
>
> An Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard with AMD Athlon 4800 dual
>
> > core cpu, with 4 MB of Corsair TwinX ram sticks.  I have an older
> > GeForce4 MX 420 graphics board with 64 MB ram.  I have updated my bios
> > to version 1303.
>
> I'm running Debian unstable, with latest version of Flightgear and
> all required packages.  I'm NOT running nvidia drivers because
> they cause my system to hang.  I'm also running the VESA driver,
> for the same reason.  I've attached the error message that Flightgear
> generates on startup.  Is this error indicative of the video driver I'm
> using?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Regards,
>   Russ

Hi Russ,

as far as I know flightgear needs rendering software, just opengl.
At start it looks in its configfile, and tries to set the settings and
initialising the scenery.

IMO you MUST have an opengl-driver working ! Otherwise it will crash.

Why does the nvidia-driver not work ? It should, if you use the Debian
packages and compile the nvidia-kernel-module on your own, and, additionally
install the package nvidia-glx.

Good luck !

Hans