Re: performance of AAC-RAID (ICP9087MA)

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:08:52PM +0200, Raimund Jacob wrote:
> Checking out a largish CVS module is no fun. The data is retrieved via
> cvs pserver from the file server and written back via NFS into my home
> directory. This process is sometimes pretty quick and sometimes blocks
> in between as if the RAID controller has to think about the requests. I
> know this phenomenon only from a megaraid controller, which we
> eventuelly canned for a pure linux software raid (2 disks mirror). Also,
> compiling in the nfs-mounted home directory is too slow - even on a
> 1000Mbit link.
>
> The new fileserver therefor feels worse than the old one which served
> the same purpose with FreeBSD/Symbios Logic SCSI RAID5/AMD K7.
>
> I try to find someone with some experience with this kind of problem.
> Perhaps the other 3 users of an ICP controller. I wonder if this is
> related to the aacraid driver. Or perhaps it's because of the 64-bit
> thing. Does anyone have any guesses?

Try with a different IO scheduler. You probably have the anticipatory
scheduler, you want to give the cfq scheduler a try.

  echo cfq > /sys/block/[device]/queue/scheduler

For NFS, you also want to increase the number of daemons. Put the line

  RPCNFSDCOUNT=32

in /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server .

Erik

--