Re: chroot and ia32libs combined

Seb <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a chroot in a AMD64 Debian system, following a how-to
> posted from http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356.  However,
> I'm not comfortable messing with my main system config files (like
> /et/ld.so.conf), which the how-to suggests.  For other reasons, I also had
> the ia32-libs package installed, so I thought I could avoid messing my
> /etc/ld.so.conf and thought that the chroot should be able to use the
> libraries from ia32-libs.  I can see I already have the /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> link.  Is this sensible? if not, is there some alternative?

Very sensible. Many people can forget the chroot completly and just
use ia32-libs.

> I'm also not sure about what and how things should mounts be specified in
> /etc/fstab.  The how-to above says to use this:
>

> /home /var/sid-386-chroot/home none bind 0 0
> /tmp /var/sid-386-chroot/tmp none bind 0 0
> proc /var/sid-386-chroot/proc proc defaults 0 0
>

> I've been advised to also mount /etc read-only, in order to avoid copying
> files around (very error prone) to the chroot.  Other how-tos also
> recommend mounting /dev, so people are using very different ways to
> install a chroot.  Can somebody please suggest what the best method is?
> Thanks in advance.

You only need a few files from /etc and they don't tend to change. For
example you need the /etc/hosts file. I always copy them over.

As for /dev you can bind mount thart or have a static version
there. You will need /dev/pts though for anything using pseudo ttys.

Last there is /sys. A very few things need that.

MfG
        Goswin