Re: chroot and ia32libs combined

Thanks for these pointers.

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 23:38:41 -0500,
Owen Heisler <owenh000@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 14:34 -0500, Seb wrote:
>> I'm trying to create a chroot in a AMD64 Debian system, following a
>> how-to posted from http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356.
>> However, I'm not comfortable messing with my main system config files
>> (like /et/ld.so.conf), which the how-to suggests.  For other reasons, I
>> also had the ia32-libs package installed, so I thought I could avoid
>> messing my /etc/ld.so.conf and thought that the chroot should be able
>> to use the libraries from ia32-libs.  I can see I already have the
>> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 link.  Is this sensible? if not, is there some
>> alternative?

> This is so you can use the 32-bit libraries in the 64-bit system.  It is
> unnecessary if you do all your 32-bit stuff in the chroot.

I see, but in case I want to run the 32 bit apps from the 64 bit system,
is it enough to have the ia32-libs package installed, or is it absolutely
necessary to add those lines in /etc/ld.so.conf?  Perhaps I should ask
whether you can run your apps in the chroot as comfortably as you can from
your 64 bit system.

Cheers,

--
Seb