Re: GoogleEarth install

Rob Blomquist <rob.blomquist@verizon.net> writes:

> On Friday 28 July 2006 06:36 am, Brett Viren wrote:
>> Rob Blomquist <rob.blomquist@verizon.net> writes:
>> >
>> > I just tried running it inside my chroot, and it works. although a bit
>> > pokey.
>>
>> I'm guessing you don't have hardware OpenGL acceleration going.  I
>> found w/out that G.E. is essentially unusable (at least on my 2GHz
>> Turion, 1GB ram laptop).  With it, it is fully captivating!
>
> What package do I need to get it running?

Well, my card is an ATI (forget the exact model; something like
"Radeon A350" iirc).  I used the fglrx package converted from RPM
available from ATI's web site.  This provides xserver and GL/GLU libs.

If you go this route be aware that you will likely have to handle, by
hand, some conflicts between fglrx and the free xserver-xorg-video-ati
package.  The fglrx package will happily overwrite any pre-existing GL
libs.

BTW, this was all in 32bit i386 (sorry for the off-topic).

-Brett.