Re: GNOME and Firefox not working on latest unstable

Hello All,
 the problem was related to libntfs9 and libntfs-gnomevfs: basically I had a problem with the libntfs.conf file and it involved GNOME as well.

Renaming libntfs.conf and running:

apt-get install --reinstall libntfs9 libntfs-gnomevfs

fixed the issue.

Thanks Giacomo for your support!

Regards,
  Max

2006/7/26, Giacomo Mulas < gmulas@ca.astro.it>:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Massimo Perga wrote:

> Hello All,
> I've updated two days ago my unstable version of Debian for AMD64 and it
> seems that GNOME has some troubles to be executed: the same happens also
> with gnome-terminal and firefox (it takes the 99% of resources but it's not
> shown).
> X is performing fine, so maybe some library has been changed; I've updated
> this morning all the files but nothing changed.

This happened to me as well, and was fixed by the updates today. I don't
know what exactly did the trick, though. I suspect it was either libc or
libntfs, which had left a bogus /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libntfs.conf (a
directory instead of a configuration file), which I had to fix by hand after
seeing the error issued by dpkg. It is really infrequent, but sometimes
"unstable" lives up to its name :)

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                          (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.