Re: debian amd64 and linux certifications

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 08:08, Christian Powers wrote:
> Anyone,
>       I am currently a Debian only user at home and at work. Most
> of my computers are running 64bit kernels and of course the
> others are running 32bit systems and an ARM type system. I am
> currently working on gaining some "official" knowledge of Linux
> and actually having proof of it. I have been looking closely at
> going for the Linux + certification. I understand from reading a
> little online, that the test officially uses the RPM package
> manager, and thought I would pose this question to the group. Are
> there any other Linux certifications that would be either Linux
> generic (no special reference to .deb. or rpm, etc), or is the
> Linux + something that would be recommended? Any Ideas on Linux
> certifications would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is a Debian specific certification, most places
offer a general Linux certification.  For instance CompTIA offers
such a course.

http://certification.comptia.org/linux/

Also another popular option that offers exams at various places can
be found.

http://www.lpi.org/en/home.html

Not to mention a lot of local colleges, and Universities offer
classes and some might do certification. A year or so ago I took an
online class that used the compTIA book, called Linus+ Guide to
Linux Certification. It was to prepare a person for the compTIA
test.  I got a good grade on the course but never took the official
test.  The information was a little dated, and focused mostly on
general Linux terms. I have heard that they have a new book out,
and some of the information have changed.

Here is another link that might be of interest.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/topics/linux/certification

This is for the lpi I believe, but might link up to a local
university, as I recall if you bought one of their books, you had
an option to take an online course, then take an exam.

I do think that these certifications might help you get a job, but
the Kernel changes so quickly, and so do the applications that it
might be limited in its use. I do think that being involved in a
project would look even better.  But I guess every little bit
helps, regardless of how useful it is.

Gnu-Raiz