Re: gcc

On Thursday 08 June 2006 13:08, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Finally, I issued #make (from root) and then changed the ownership of all
> *.c, *.o, *.h, and *.prm files, including the directory containing them. It
> works perfectly at truly 64bit (of course it has no graphics, to this end,
> but on the 32bit pc I have a sister program to examine graphically the
> output). Impressive speed. The most tricky part is to create the input on
> the 32bit pc and transfer to the 64bit workstation through a usb card
> reader, complex because of the strict adherence of debian to ownerships and
> permissions.

Is there a good reason why you can't set up an NFS share between the two
machines?

> > If `make install` is not working,
>
> There is no makeinstall in the Makefile. Things are arranged that make
> creates the executable that can be placed everywhere (with its needed
> companions)

Ah.  Well, this is the sort of thing I should have expected from a programmer
who is still using gets() .....  ;-)

> I believe you have grasped the point [about user #500] perfectly. Who wrote
the program is a
> RedHat_ist, as far as linux is concerned. Normally he is BSD_ist. I known
> that, on my solicitation, he has installed debian too, but he was probably
> pressed by the time. I was looking at 500: is that the decimal
> corresponding to octal 764?

7 * 64 + 6 * 8 + 4 = 448 + 48 + 4 = 500, yes.

> At any event, I am happy to have the first important piece for my
> calculations at 64bit with multiprocessor. Now I have to check if the
> program is bug-free. A molecule of my repertoire will test that fully.
>
> Could you please help me further? I posed to the mpqc list the question
> (unanswered) if it is safe to install on amd64 debian etch mpqc (the second
> part of my calculations) made available for debian sid at
>
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/mpqc
>
> What do you think? If safe, should I add a repository to my sources.list
> for etch or there is another less risky way?

What I've mostly done in the past, when wanting packages not available in the
distribution I am using  {e.g.  my 32-bit Etch at home, when some KDE
packages were unavailable},  has been to download the .dsc, .diff.gz
and .orig.tar.gz files by hand, build the package:
# dpkg-source -x foo.dsc
# cd foo
# dpkg-buildpackage
and install the resulting .deb using
# dpkg -i foo.deb

Unstable  {sid}  packages generally will build fine on testing  {etch at time
of writing}  except when a huge transition is taking place  {eg. KDE2 to
KDE3, XFree86 to Xorg} and a dependency hasn't made it through the system
yet.  Depending upon how actively mpqc is being developed, you may even find
that the Etch and Sid versions are the same.

Good luck with it!

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk