Re: scsi & official debian repositories

Francesco Pietra wrote:
The scsi card is perfectly recognized on pure 64bit debian etch install.

Moreover, I plan to maintain the workstation pure 64bit. mpqc is already available at 64bit. I only have to compile a program as pre-quantum mechanics. Not a minor problem if Open Motif does not become available.

To the latter concern AND IT MAY BE A QUESTION OF GENERAL INTEREST FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS, I'll try to adhere to the request of installing packages from only official debian. I have in fact agreed to send automatically reports. However, I am not interested in either kde or gnome or realplayer or sound anyway; what I need (and it might be the same for workstations anywhere) is a better window manager than twm for X, ideally mwm. I need to move and resize the windows. twm you know cannot. kwin from kde is the worst one can install for my purposes, and it is very intruding, remembering tools from Microsoft.

I am quite happy with Xfce, you may want to give it a try.

I also need OpenMotif to compile for OpenGL. Will these packages appear on debian official repositories? If not, why to delay installing such packages from elsewhere right now? The only obstacle I see is the lack of security updates.

Hurry is usually a bad councillor but going on with scientific research is a pressing need.

Thanks for advice on strategies to this regard.

francesco pietra

You mean http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/openmotif ?
Maybe you have to grab your own sources (with a deb-src entry in sources.list and apt-get source) from any official repository.

Greets,
Roberto