Re: Newbie Question

Now that the standard Debian mirror system supports amd64, (apt/dpkg)
take care of getting you the correct packages for your architecture...
I use [in /etc/apt/sources.list], where 'unstable'(sid) is the release
set that I use, you should stick with what ever release you currently
have...

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

I use 'apt-get update' to update my package lists, and 'apt-get
upgrade' to upgrade my packages... and 'apt-get install <packageName>'
to install packages

Also, check out the debian package 'newbiedoc'
for lots of good info on 'apt' and other good things

lots of luck
**joachimp