Re: grub installation problem

Hi,

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:56:07PM -0700, fai amd wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> would appreciate if folks could help me understand what's going on with
> grub. the wierdest thing is that it already works on emt64 machine and
> it won't install on another.the installation on
>
> ~# dpkg -l | grep grub
> ii  grub           0.95+cvs200406 GRand Unified Bootloader
> 192:~# grub
> -bash: /sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
> 192:~# strace grub
> execve("/sbin/grub", ["grub"], [/* 14 vars */]) = 0
> strace: exec: Exec format error
> 192:~# file /sbin/grub
> /sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, statically linked, stripped
> 192:~#
>

> ii  grub           0.95+cvs200406 GRand Unified Bootloader
> 192:~# uname -a
> Linux 192.168.0.199 2.6.15emt64 #3 Wed May 10 15:50:17 EDT 2006 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> 192:~#

---end quoted text---

I think I ran into a similar problem when I setup fai for our compute
cluster install a year ago, if i remember right the fai kernel in question
that i was using from sarge at the time, didnt have 32bit emulation
compiled in, so the grub bootloader never gets installed because its a
32bit binary for whatever reason.

what i ended doing if i remember right is, i built a custom kernel with
the needed support. I can put the kernel i built online for you to try
to see if that works if you're interested. though i dont know if its
the exact same problem you're experiencing that i did a year ago.

Jimmy

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,