Re: What partitioning tool is used in the installer?

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 11:41:06AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:10:09AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > I instelled etch on my AMD64 using Len Sorenson's installer.
>
> But that installer only does sarge (I think).  The etch installer would
> have 2.6.15 and probably work better than mine.

Hmmm.  Now that you point it out, I think you are right...  My memory
must be failing me.  After yours, which got my hardware working (very
important!) except for X, I did it over again with an etch installer.
That was a while ago.  (or did I do a sarge->etch dist-upgrade?)  My
kernel is is vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.

hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
Linux april 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Wed Sep 28 02:05:15 CEST 2005
x86_64 GNU/Linux

> > Now the time has come to create a few new partitions.  In particular,
> > I want to set up a new partition for /usr separate from /.
> >
> > I have found the installer's partitioning tool (via its text
> > interface) to be a very convenient for setting up LVM on RAID.  It
> > certainly worked better than me trying to figure out everything that
> > had to be done using mdadm and lvm2 directly.
> >
> > What partitioning tool was that, and how should I go about using it on
> > a running system?  Is it available separate from the installer?  Or
> > should I boot the installer and start it in some kind of non-install
> > mode?
>
> I believe it is parted.  Not sure if it is a custom interface for it or
> not.

So I guess the (revised) question becomes, what user-interface front end
to the partition editor was in the etch installer back then (and
probably still now).

Or: is it safe to boot the netinstall CD and create a few new LVM
partitions without risking the existing setup by a slip of the finger?
The big advantage of the user interface is that it really does get all
the details right.

-- hendrik