Re: Commercial programs in Debian

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 15:10, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 08:17:59AM +1000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> >
> > Do you really believe that a business is set up for any other purpose
> > than to make money?
>
> Some are. Some are not. Making money is a constraint -- the business
> that does not make money vanishes from the face of the earth.  It may
> not be the purpose.
>
> But the founder of a business may well be following his bliss in setting
> up the business, because he really *wants* to paint water colours, write
> software, build houses, etc.  So he sets up a business doing that.  And
> if luck is with him and he does the necessary financial analysis the
> business prospers.  Some people, when they tired of the work, when it
> ceases to be a joy, closed their prosperous businesses find something
> else to do.
>
> -- hendrik
 At any event, because the product is excellet and has so long an experience
(having been transferred from mainfraime to the first IBM PC at those early
days and then reshaped for unix) to have no good competitor, it makes money.
Not the money Gates has made but would you like to be a Gates? I do not, as I
would not like to be a Berlusconi. Beg pardon for the comparison between the
two, it is not deserved. It is not deserved to compare selling goods or
smoke.

francesco