Re: Commercial programs in Debian

I can illustrate my experience with commercial packages for quantum mechanical
and quantum chemical calculations. There is at least one package for quantum
mechanical calculations (don't ask me the name as i am not advertising) that
is accurate, solves all problems of file type conversion, provides input to
quantum chemical calculations and reads (graphically) the output. Well, this
program (absolutely not inexpensive) is distributed with the source code.
This allows compilation (with assistance from the distributor) for your
particular environment. More importantly, the source code allows you to
change parameters - or insert new ones as soon as experimental data from,
say, IR come out - for the calculations. The latter strategy is not allowed
by imperscrutable commercial packages, which pretend you do chemistry
blindly.

This long preamble to an area (chemistry calculations) that will hardly find
anyone interested here. But I wanted to refer to the philosophy behind. In
any area, this is the only way to accept a commercial package on unix
systems. Not only for freedom problems. First of all for technical problems.

How do softerhouses survive this type of distribution? As far as university
quarters are concerned, we honor this type of distribution and pay willingly
(even for personal use) for them, and keep them strictly under the license
conditions.

Yours
francesco pietra