Re: nvidia-glx got removed- now no GUI

Am Dienstag, 2. Mai 2006 13:12 schrieb Craig Hagerman:
> Running Debian AMD64 unstable (sid).
>
> I did an apt-get dist-upgrade yesterday and lost the GUI. Seems there
> is a problem with the nvidia driver.
>
> nvidia-glx was removed and now is uninstallable. It tells me:
>
> nvidia-glx: Depends: xserver-common (>= 4.0.3) but it is not going to
> be installed
>
> When I try to apt-get install xserver-common it tells me that it
> depends on x11-common (>= 6.8.1) but that is also not going to be
> installed. I check out x11-common and apt tells me that it is already
> the newest version.
>
> Hmmm.... does anyone know what is going on here? It is very
> frustrating. I tried downloading and installing a new kernel, new
> modules, only after all that found out that nvidia driver doesn't work
> because of the lack of nvidia-glx
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Craig

Hi Craig,

try to change the sources.list to the i386-path. Apt recognizes your
architecture.

Then do an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade (might be huge !)

After this, you will have xorg7.0. Due to this, you will have to build a new
kernel module (nvidia-kernel). Install this and reinstall nvidia-glx.

That should it be. Please remember: The path for the driver is not /usr/X11R6
any more, but /usr/lib/xorg/....

Best regards

Hans