Re: Mount/fstab problem

I found it!

My issue was solved by placing the chroot directories on the root partition. Sometime back, I moved them from /var into /usr/local (which is on another partition) due to some space issues --- I must have not noticed the effect this had on proc right away. If I understand things correctly, debian tries to mount proc in my chroot before the partition with the chroot has been mounted. That's why it helps to have the chroot on the root partition, as it gets mounted first.

Sorry to have bothered people about this,

landhaj

Land Haj <landhaj@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yes, $chroot/etc/fstab has next to nothing in it, but if you check the regular /etc/fstab that I attached to my first mail, you will see that proc is listed just as you suggest. But it still doesn't get mounted as $chroot/proc unless I manually do a 'mount -a' after boot. This is really weird.

/landhaj

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 05:33:22AM -0800, Land Haj wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to specify that it is the proc file system in the 32 bit chroot that doesn't get mounted.
>
> /landhaj
>
> Land Haj wrote: A few days ago I tried out gnome on my debian sid amd64 installation. For some reason, everytime I started gnome, nautilus would pop up with a little window where it demonstrated the files on a backup partition. This partition is clearly set to noauto in fstab, but I couldn't stop gnome from mounting it.
>
> I decided kde worked better for me, and uninstalled gnome. The backup partition doesn't get mounted when I enter the desktop anymore, but the funny thing is that now the /proc file system is not being mounted at boot (like it did before), and hence ooffice gives me warning and sound doesn't work in wine. I have followed the instructions in the AMD 64 howto to the letter, and had not altered fstab when the problems occured. Both these issues go away when if I su to root and do mount -a, which shows fstab is fine, doesn't it?
>
> Anyone know what's going on? Is my problem some kind of rest from the gnome installation, or is nautilus behaviour and the present issues just a coincident?

What is in your /etc/fstab (not in the chroot, the one in the chroot has
very little purpose unless you want to have some mounts available for
manual use while in the chroot).

Something like this should work fine:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
proc /chroot32/proc proc defaults 0 0