Re: Update killed X11 and damaged Locales

Adam C. Emerson wrote:

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 05:41:37PM -0600, Russ Cook wrote:
I updated my pure 64 bit system (AMD64) yesterday, running combination of Sid and Sarge. Afterwards, X11 will no longer start up. The startx file is missing, as is /etc/X11/Xsession file. Perl is also complaining about certain Locale variable not being settable, due to missing files (or something like that). I have not changed my sources.list file in several months. I'd rather not do a complete reinstall, if this can be recovered. How can I restore my X11 system (Xorg)?
What must I do to repair Locales?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

It sounds like you installed the balocs-locales-* packages.  You should
be able to, today, reinstall the normal locales package.  (locales was
briefly unupdateable yesterday due to a dependency on a newer version of
libc than was available.)

No, I checked with dselect, searching on locale, and balocs-locales(*) is not installed. The only locale that is installed is liblocale-gettext-perl 1.05-1. Thanks for taking the time to reply.