Re: Custom kernel for Debian-installer howto?

Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian Sarge on an AMD Athlon64 3200+. The
> problem is the installer doesn't recognize my Uli 1689 SATA chipset.
> However, this chipset appears to be supported in 2.6.12 and later
> kernels with the sata_uli module.
>
> I have found some discussions about how to rebuild the debian-installer
> with a custom kernel, but I am not sure if it will work in my case.
> Being the new machine is my only AMD64 machine so far, I will have to
> build the debian-installer and kernel on a 32bit AMD running Sid, or my
> AMD64 machine running 32bit Knoppix. Is there anything special I would
> need to do to get it to build right?

How about a Knoppix for amd64, Ubuntu live-cd for amd64 or even gentoo
live-cd for amd64?

You need 64bit unless you know what you are doing and are willing to
hack around a lot.

> Any other tips or suggestions on how to get the AMD64 port of Debian
> installed on this machine?

Install 32bit, install 64bit kernel, setup a 64bit chroot with
(c)debootstrap, make it boot that.

> TIA,
> Jacob

MfG