Re: Kernel 2.6.15-1-XXX: Some Questions

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 03:35:07PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> I saw lots of patches in /usr/src/kernel-patches. How do I have to understand
> this ?
>
> - Are the original debian-kernel-sourcen already patched or do I have to patch
> a kernel myself ?

As far as I can tell, debian kernel-source/linux-source packages provide
a pre patched /usr/src/*.tar.bz2 file, and the kernel-patches contain
the patches which were applied.  kernel-tree uses these patches to
unpatch the source back to previous releases when necesary.

Adding other patches which are not in the debian kernel by default
requires doing others things like you are trying to do below.

> - Is this syntax correct (i.e. debianlogo):
>
> "make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-amd64-k8 --added_patches debianlogo
> kernel_image" or must I give the absolut path like this:

Looks reasonable.  Does it complain?

> "make-kpkg --append-to-version -1-amd64-k8
> --added_patches /usr/src/kernel-ptches/debianlogo kernel_image" ?

Shouldn't have to do that.

> Another question is: I found a configuration point using make menuconfig,
> where I can add the version. If I enter there -1-amd64-k8, Isuppose, I can
> leave the --append-to-version option. Is this correct ?
>
> If I use a patched kernel (the example with debianlogo) , I always have to
> build a new kernel, whenever Debian has released a new one, do I ?

You would have to if you want the changes yes.