Re: Strange network things: eth1 (but no nic!!) and sit0

Le 25.02.2006 15:56:05, Joost Kraaijeveld a écrit :

After installing Etch on my AMD64 machine I suddenly have an extra
without actually having an NIC. I cannot activate it  in the "Network
settings" applet but it is shown during boot and in the output of
ifconfig (without ip address). Can anyone give me clue as to where
eth1 is comming from ? Is that related to my next question (IP6)?  Or
maybe firewire ?

I also have a "sit0" which appears to be a IPv6-in-IPv4 address. Is
correct? IS there any documentation available a to why that is (I have
nothing configured myself, there is nothing about IP6 I can find on my

Probably firewire.

Have a loog at dmesg, you should have something like that:

eth1394: $Rev: 1312 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
eth1394: eth2: IEEE-1394 IPv4 over 1394 Ethernet (fw-host0)