Re: powernow-k8 problem

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:28:46AM +0000, Matthew Robinson wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 11:25, thomasl wrote:
> >
> > I think I go back to 486 kernel again. It is very nice to be able
> > to move the boot disk to whatever other computer and still boot.
> > I am dreaming of the universal kernel that dynamically adapts...
>
> How about 2 kernels? one compiled for 486, one for K8? just two menu
> options in grub. Infact, its possible to set a fallback  kernel in
> grub, to do remote kernel upgrades, set k8 as default, 486 as
> fallback.

That's cheating :) I feel a bit embarrassed for that easy
solution since Debian kernel packages already do this for me
when installing new kernels (it keeps the old ones automatically
in the grub menu).

That is the way to go! I just feel sorry for not thinking of this
before my k7 system crashed and I switched to pentium, and then
now to k8. Rescue CDs are good sometimes...

Thanks,

/Thomas L