Re: DMA on SATA disks?

Stephen Gran ha scritto:

Can you please post full output (cut and pate from the prompt is best)?
hdparm should be able to handle SATA drives, although I haven't yet
tried.

Thanks,

Mine doesn't work, maybe hdparm that comes with sarge doesn't handle yet such kind of drives?

root@darkstar:~# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Invalid argument

root@darkstar:~# hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument

Strange but it works with -tT switch:

root@darkstar:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   2688 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1340.85 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.03 seconds =  56.17 MB/sec
root@darkstar:~#

Here mount output

root@darkstar:~# mount
/dev/sda5 on / type reiserfs (rw,notail)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda10 on /mnt/disk type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=frank)
/dev/hdd1 on /mnt/hd type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=frank)

Searching with apt-cache I found blktool package, does anybody know if it is a valid replacement of hdparm.

--

	Franco Martelli.

ImoLUG Staff
http://www.imolug.org - info@imolug.org