Re: quake4 on debian amd64

On Tuesday 31 Jan 2006 15:23, Jo Shields wrote:
> Michael Langley wrote:
> >>Oh, and if you used nvidia-installer from www.nvidia.com, then you're
> >>probably screwed unless you want to put in an unneccessary amount of
> >>effort to un-screw things.
> >...If you have a basic knowledge of ln and know how
> > the libs should be setup it only takes 2 or 3 minutes to use the
> > installer and have a perfectly working system.
> >
> >Quake 4 works fine on my amd64 box.
> So all you need is a working knowledge of where things should be, how
> they should be, and why they should be, because nvidia's installer is
> too stupid to get it right.
>
> Handy.
>
> Why exactly aren't you just using packages, rather than having some
> random script overwrite bits of /usr for kicks?

You know, if hardware manufacturers were obliged by law to release sufficient
information to enable a competent programmer to write a driver, we would not
be in this sorry mess in the first place.

It's my assertion that nVidia's secrecy is a smokescreen to disguise something
they do not want the general public knowing; and my guess that the "low end"
cards could be converted to "high end" cards very simply by a person with the
right knowledge.  But just the sheer volume of data that gets sent to a
graphics card makes reverse-engineering a daunting prospect.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk