Re: high load average?

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:21:03AM -0800, michael wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:30:59 +0100, Markus Neviadomski wrote
> > have a look at top a while, when the server is working, for example
> > delivering a website or something other. And, talk about the servers
> > you are running: webserver, gameserver, databases? It is very
> > difficult to help you without any information.
> >

> It is a simple web, file server.
> After rebooting it, the load average has gone back to normal.
> Its just that we have other servers that do way more work and never seem
> to get over 1.00, while this one is in a small network and was showing some
> load averages over 1.00 at times.

Don't know about your other servers, but if they are still running a
2.4 kernel, there certainly will be a difference. Linux 2.6 changed the
way the load average is calculated in such a way that IO time spend by
a process is also accounted (or accounted in a different way).

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --