Re: How big will the 32-bit chroot end up being? What goes in these days?

Thomas Steffen wrote:

On 1/23/06, cmetzler@speakeasy.net <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> wrote:
So, as I understand it, the following stuff would need to go into the
32-bit chroot (assuming one wants/needs these things):

- Sun's J2RE

- OpenOffice

- Flash

- RealPlayer/Helix/whatever

- win32codecs + other misc A/V codecs one might scrounge up elsewhere

- Any web browser that you want to be able to use Java/Flash/embedded
AV stuff in

- the Acrobat Reader

- cdrecord/cdrdao plus whatever front end you're using to call them

Is that correct?  Anything I'm missing?

Don't forget all the dependencies that all pulled in by these apps.
You might end up with nearly a typical Linux installation.
Not quite that bad.  There is no need for the xserver for example,
as the 32-bit processes have no problem talking to the 64-bit server.
And of course the chroot don't need any utilities, bootup scripts,
window managers, printing subsystem, login software . . .

Most of the dependencies are libraries.  You could end up with a
sizable chunk of those though.

Also consider 64-bit equivalents.  CD burning can be done in 64-bit.
Frontend software can always be 64-bit even if it controls a 32-bit
program doing the work. (Browser+plugin is different, as the plugin
isn't a freestanding program.  It links into the browser.)

Adobe acrobat has a 64-bit alternative in xpdf.  Xpdf sure looks
different - maybe it isn't a perfect replacement - but it is fine
for reading and printing pdf documents.

32-bit java is also something you may be able to do without.
64-bit java is fine for all non-browser use - but of course there is
no plugin for mozilla.  For java in a 64-bit webbrowser, use
64-bit konqueror and 64-bit java 1.5.0-4 from Sun.  It passes the
test at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml,
and works with java games at www.darkfish.com.  I have not
been able to use it for internet banks that use java, but only a
stupid bank forces the customers like that - there are other banks!

Some people need openoffice, but there are certainly good alternatives.
I use lyx for writing (better typography and much faster)
gnumeric for spreadsheets (much faster, and just as excel-compatible)
and abiword (much faster) when I need to exchange
something word-compatible with others.

Helge Hafting