Re: AMD 64 CPU Chip Selection Question

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 02:36 pm, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 03:28:41PM -0500, Robert Isaac wrote:
> > Actually, you should hold off until after June before buying
> > any AMD64 CPU.  AMD will be releasing a new socket style and
> > the current Socket 939 and 754 chips should drop in prices, not
> > sure about the Opterons (Socket 940).
>
> Actually, you should probably hold off buying *any* piece of
> computing equipment until you can't do without it, as prices keep
> going down. Rare is the day I pay the price they quoted me at my
> local computer store, because the price goes down too fast.
>
> -- hendrik

Like everything else its a judgement call, you can have your cake
today, enjoy it for a lot longer.

I came over this problem about a week ago, I was going to just get a
socket 754 sempron chip, and use it later down the road in a pvr.

Almost everything was the same except the cost of the chip, the chip
I really needed was over the two hundred dollar mark. As Myth TV
likes it cpu power, if your working in 1080p.  Sure I could of got
something less but then I have heard of people running into
problems on 3200, 3400 Athlon 64's.  So I really needed a 3700 or
better chip. In the end I ended up going for a Opteron 165, and as
stated in another thread it only cost me about 60 dollars more than
a single core 3700.

So for that price it was a good investment, as I know that demand
will keep the dual cores prices up for a while until the next big
thing.

Gnu_Raiz

Also whats with all the top posting, it seem's that every other
thread has a bunch of top posters?