Re: Error activating XKB configuration

On 1/22/06, Andrei Mikhailovsky <andrei@arhont.com> wrote:
> after a recent upgrade, i get an error in xkb while starting gnome,
> which disables the use of shortcut buttons on my M$ Natural Keyboard
> Pro. The error shows the following:

> X server version data:
> The X.Org Foundation
> 60900000

> $ xprop -root | grep XKB
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xfree86", "microsoft", "gb", "", ""
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "microsoft", "gb", "", ""

I think the keyboard layout files have been moved from "xfree86" to
"xorg", and at some point during 6.8.* the compatibility link has been
removed, too.

So you may have to change the line
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
in xorg.conf to
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"

That did the trick mostly for me. Unfortunately, they also fiddled
with the dvorak layout, and made it nearly unusable. But I am close to
a solution there, too.

Thomas